Wednesday 30 June 2010

life in foam

LIFE IN FOAM


OK so after coming back from the states and having a look in ken and Brian's fly boxes i admit to being very impressed with the foam stuff they both had and i tied some up at Ken's to try as well , i had to tie my own as capsey would still have been going on about catching fish on his flys .

so yesterday i made few Chernobyl ant flies up but in pike size , id had so much success in the states with smaller ones i thought theres no way big sizes wouldn't catch pike on the surface and it gives me a good excuse for starting up a rather massive box of top water flys for my trip after the bass next year .

all the flys below are tied on long shank 4/0 hooks (there big)


the foam above i was getting from ken over at pike adventures he sends me a pack every 3 months and i send him old fishing shit that he likes to collect (rusty hook on its way buddy) but I've now found the very same foam in a local craft store what a bonus

the flies above are pretty much the same build except I've left enough space on the one above to stick on an epoxy eye


purple back and segmented under body sometimes its good to play with colours , when everything else ain't working that may be the one that save you

the fly above is probably your more traditional ant with sight indicators although with pike flies I'm not sure that you really need them as you in contact with the fly most of the time although i suppose it would have its uses in weedy bays or rivers


the fly above is actually twice the thickness of the same colour fly above it i just like to tinker with stuff and see what happens
frankin dragon flies

well i have ken to thank for getting my brain in gear on this one , while i was fishing Champlain with him we saw quite a lot of massive dragon flies the things were so big they could have taken on an f16 well id forgotten that ken had said they were good bass snacks (i should listen to him now and again ) and it wasn't till last night while he was on the video hook up to me that he showed me his version of it, its not on his blog yet but hopefully it will be soon as its an absolute killer , below is my version i say my version as I'm not one for directly copying a fly and calling it my own , although something similar probably is out there although maybe not in this size , so this is my spin on kens dragon fly

I'm quite liking the fly above as the foam at the back should make it dive a little under the surface although I'm not 100% on this yet and i do have the option of just cutting it of if it doesn't work how i want it to without wasting a fly

every thing gonna be all white

yea sorry that's a crap title i know but here is a white one i did with a red site indicator , the back has been given a shell back with the incredible and cheap mr bond from pike trek , the reason I've give it a shell back is so that it makes a bigger splash when it hits the water simple
death from below


how can a fish resist such a tasty morsel struggling for its life on the surface simple it cant , so I've still got some ideas in my head that i need to get on a hook and making the flys above was the first part of the plan as i have in mind some really radical designs which as i have the day of tomorrow will be put on a hook so check back tomorrow evening and see what come out the lab
tight lines fellow tiers
mcfluffchucker
(a cave in Scotland)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello !


My name is Luis Hinton .
I want to buy a 2007 Peugeot 308 RC Z Concept .
please help to buy such a 2007 Peugeot 308 RC Z Concept .









Thank you, just have a nice day

Luis Hinton .


























Luis Hinton .