Sunday 28 April 2013

2 men a loch a vice and a doughnut

8,589 visitors last month
(IM HUMBLED THANK YOU)

HELLO TO MY NEWIEST FOLLOWER

-------
HELL YEA THE TEAM GOT OUT


finally after what seemed like an age the team got out to throw some flies after green meanies the weather was looking ok although somewhat on the cold side but we really needed to get out



my boat box had been in and out of the cave at least half a dozen times to add a few more flies check lines making sure I hadn’t forgotten anything you know how it is before a trip men and there toys , so the day before all the rods were out and everything was ready to go and to be honest I was slightly excited to be hitting the water …....

well that was until I got a phone call saying the boats had not yet been put in the water because the road to the venue was still blocked with snow and had only been cleared that morning oh bugger , rather than cancel the trip we just decided to stick some waders in the car and fish from the bank , although this would cut down the amount of water we could target I did feel quite confident about us catching .



I spent quite a bit of time in the area above which is usually good for a few jacks although casting is somewhat limited because of trees behind me it was a case of getting in the water and side casting the bank and let me tell you the water was bloody freezing luckily ive had all the children I could ever want which is probably just as well because after today im sure I wont ever have anymore  



talking of trees the destroyer was having some fun getting caught up them and I got this shot of him having retrieved his fly from the branches it wasnt till I got home that I thought it reminded me of something and well there you go mystery solved ….............  



we fished fairly hard around the banks that we could access but we didnt have so much as a pull I was getting the feeling that the fish wernt playing ball but we carried on anyway aint gonna catch if your fly isn’t in the water but it was still bloody cold ….



we continued to fish round the banks with not much going on so I decide to head to a corner near a valve tower on the dam wall for no other reason than I hadn’t been there yet I also changed my fly to a pike sized gummy minnow in silver with a green back , just to try and spark a response as these flies have a great wiggle and flash to them and second cast I had a small jack swirl at it just under the surface , this was enough to get my focus so I got another cast out in the area . I then a few cast later had a large brown trout around 5 or 6 lbs follow my fly and roll away pretty much 6 feet away from the rod tip …..

this was enough to shout the destroyer over as there was obviously a bit of activity around this area and there was plenty of room so without asking twice he was round in a flash and within a few casts he was into a fish , however it wasnt a green lump it was more of the stocked rainbow trout varity 



although it wasn’t our intended target to be honest it was just good to get a pull on a day like this to be honest and conan was more than pleased as it was his first of the year I think by the end of the day we must have hit around 40 odd fish between us and great fun



ive got flies bigger than that 



lovely colours and fin perfect not you average stockie 



the destroyers fishin wagon also passes as a mobile recycling plant 


I mean really am I supposed to sit amongst all that although to be fair I think one item maybe mine , so with that we fired up the in car entertainment and pumped out so metal although the plan for today didnt quite work out how we wanted it was still great to get out and throwing flies and hell theres always next week 



and before we know it, it’ll be summer again and we will be in among all sorts of craziness again , the weather is still playing havoc a bit and even the best laid plans are going a bit to pot but the thing o love about fly fishing is even if you cant get out there’s always flies to tie speaking of which

VICE NEWS

as always im forever at the vice trying new things and playing with old patterns well this week has been no different and having finished a private shop order I got back on it for me and his destroyerness again with my ties you can click on the links within the recipes to go to the site selling it or you can souce it from wherever you like 


a simple little baitfish to make this one and consists of nothing more that supreme hair from deercreek a bit of flash and a touch up (oh er Mrs) with a marker pen

hook – owner stinger 6/0
thread – phantom thread
belly – chartreuse supreme hair
back – olive supreme hair
flash – magnum flashbou (gold)


hook – owner stinger 6/0
thread – phantom thread
eye – piketrek 8mm


hook – tactical lazer 6/0
thread – phantom thread
belly – fluro chartreuse ep fibre
back – olive ep fibre
flash – chartreuse angel hair


thread – phantom thread
body -white ep fibre
flash – white angel hair
flash gill – red angel hair
eye – hookeye and fly 8mm 



thread – phantom thread
body – 3d mullet ep fibre
flash – angel hair peacock
eye – gator eye 8.mm


hook – owner stinger 6/0
thread – phantom thread
body – olive ep fibre
flash – peacock angel hair
eye – pike trek 8mm

all my flies are whipped off and sealed with diamond hard tack free uv

so with that I bid you tight lines till next time enjoy
mcfluffchucker
(a cave in Scotland)

1 comment:

Conan the destroyer said...

95% of the garbage in the footwell belongs to his fluffiness...!!!
I only got snagged up a tree the once !
Where's the doughnuts ?